The Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD), in coordination with Sindh Rangers and intelligence agencies, has arrested three suspected militants allegedly involved in a targeted shooting at an Independence Day stall in Karachi and an alleged wider plan to carry out further acts of violence in the city, officials said.
The arrests followed a joint intelligence-based operation conducted near Korangi Causeway on August 18, according to CTD officials. The three suspects, reportedly associated with the banned Sindh Revolutionary Army (SRA), were apprehended in an injured condition during the operation.
According to CTD DIG Azfar Mahesar, the suspects were allegedly involved in a shooting incident on the night of August 12, when motorcycle-borne attackers opened fire on Aman, a resident of Korangi, in front of his wife and children.
Aman sustained critical injuries in the attack and subsequently died while receiving medical treatment.
Investigators believe the incident was not an isolated act. According to the officials, the suspects had allegedly conducted reconnaissance of Independence Day stalls two days before the shooting, reportedly through an individual identified as Sajjad Mallah.
Following the attack, the suspects reportedly fled on three separate motorcycles, prompting investigators to intensify efforts to identify and track the network behind the incident.
During the investigation, officials claimed that the suspects disclosed information regarding an alleged network operating from outside Pakistan. CTD DIG Azfar Mahesar said an individual identified as Arslan Shah, who is reportedly residing abroad, had allegedly assigned the suspects the task and was operating as a controller of the network. According to investigators, questioning of the arrested suspects also revealed alleged reconnaissance of multiple locations with the intention of carrying out bomb attacks. Officials further alleged that the suspects had been provided financial support from abroad during the first week of August. SSP CTD Irfan Bahadur said investigators believe the alleged objective was to create fear, panic and disruption in Karachi during Independence Day celebrations.
Police officials further claimed that the suspects had allegedly been instructed to target law-enforcement personnel. SSP Irfan Bahadur said investigators were examining the alleged involvement of foreign-based elements and what authorities described as an Indian proxy connection to the banned SRA. According to officials, the alleged objective was to exploit national occasions to conduct disruptive activities, create an atmosphere of insecurity and undermine public confidence.
The claims remain part of the ongoing investigation, and authorities have not publicly disclosed independent evidence establishing the identities or roles of all individuals allegedly operating from abroad. Officials said the three suspects were arrested near Korangi Causeway in an injured condition. During the operation, law-enforcement personnel reportedly recovered three hand grenades and firearms from their possession.
Following the arrests, police registered four cases against the suspects under various provisions of Pakistan’s anti-terrorism and explosives laws. Investigators are now examining the recovered material and questioning the suspects to determine whether additional individuals were involved in the alleged network and whether further attacks had been planned.
The CTD has indicated that the investigation will not end with the arrest of the three suspects. Authorities are now working to identify alleged facilitators, financiers, handlers and other associates who may have supported the network. Investigators are also examining the alleged overseas connection and attempting to establish the complete chain of communication, financing and operational planning.
The authorities have vowed to pursue those allegedly involved in facilitating the suspects and to dismantle the wider network.
The joint operation highlights the increasing emphasis on intelligence-led counter-terrorism efforts in Karachi, particularly around major national and public occasions when large numbers of people gather. According to CTD officials, the arrests prevented the alleged suspects from potentially carrying out further attacks and provided investigators with an opportunity to trace the broader network behind the reported activities.
SSP CTD Irfan Bahadur reaffirmed the department’s determination to pursue the suspects’ alleged facilitators and associates, stating that efforts to identify and apprehend the remaining members of the network are continuing. The authorities have made clear that the investigation remains active, with the focus now shifting from the three arrests to uncovering the wider network, its alleged overseas links, financial channels and potential attack plans.





